Child care centre chains are fast becoming a thing in Durham, so this week I wanted to dedicate a little of this post to my thoughts on the change. After visiting Helping Hands Whitby last week, I was a little hesitant to make the trip to visit Helping Hands Brooklin for a tour because one – the dreary weather has me making excuses to stay inside, and two – because I really wondered how different another chain location can be when they are up the road from one other. I’ll dedicate another post to my thoughts on this chain centre trend (I’m realizing I have more to say on this than I first thought), and instead I’ll launch into a review of my tour of this location.
First things first – It felt different. Different enough that I’m glad I did a tour, which I will continue to encourage you to do while you have the time on your mat leave. Helping Hands Whitby is located on the ground level of a shopping plaza, whereas the Helping Hands Brooklin location takes up the top level of this commercial building. Finding the entrance here wasn’t as intuitive as I would have liked (take the elevator, not the stairs closest to the entrance like I did), – that said, the fact that this location really is tucked away can also be a benefit in terms of privacy for the staff and kids.
This centre is large and growing quickly. There are two rooms for toddlers and plans to add more as Brooklin continues to rapidly expand. The look of this centre is closer to a classroom than you’d expect from the outside looking in. Each room is also styled to be unique, with the staff adding their personal touch to the artwork that hangs around the room.
- Centre is open from 6.30am to 6.30pm, Monday to Friday.
- Accepting children as young as six weeks old.
- The full time rate for infants is $258 per week. Part time care is not available.
- The full time rate for toddlers is $205 per week, or $46 per day for part time.
- $325 is required upon registration. $25 of this is the registration fee, and the remaining $300 is held as a deposit that is applied to your last week of payment.
- All rates include lunch and snacks twice a day.
- Laundry is available on site.